Sunday, July 5, 2009

Enduring Ties

My father in white polo together with colleagues from the Children's Hospital where he works

I got a phone call from my father last night. How I really miss him! He migrated to America in 2004 and settled in the busy district of Los Angeles together with his siblings and mother. Yup! My Lola is still alive and healthy at 93. Papa is the eldest among 8 children and is now turning 72 on November 16. Anyway, he called to say that he is now eligible to file for American citizenship this July. I could sense that he's excited since he can now enjoy the perks of being a US citizen aside from the health insurance and medical benefits he's enjoying as a green card holder/senior citizen. I am truly happy for him! He is not affectionate and showy as a father and he could be as cold as ice sometimes but he is a good father and a good husband. He was never unfaithful to mama until the time of her death. For me and my only sister, that is most treasured.

As his first born, my sister agrees that I am his favorite. True or not, one thing is sure: I am my father's daughter. And our tie cannot be separated by distance nor time!

No comments:

Post a Comment