Saturday, July 4, 2009

Children as Blessings


As I was contemplating on what to write today, I asked my son for suggestion. "Why don't you write something about us?", he said. I felt uncomfortable for a moment but knowing it could give hope and encouragement to childless couples, I decided to share with you on how 2 years after marriage we were finally blessed with a son and 6 years after, a daughter followed.

I went steady with hubby Dong for 8 years. We got married when I turned 27. I knew we needed to immediately start a family because my biological clock is ticking. However, we were not as lucky as others. I had a miscarriage before my son. My mother also had miscarriages due to low placenta so I believe I could have inherited it from her. For two years, we were trying to conceive but to no avail. During our 2nd yr of marriage, my husband was invited by peers to join Brotherhood of Christian Businessmen and Professionals (BCBP) Las Pinas chapter. We attended the weekly formation sessions and offered our fervent wish to have a child during prayer intentions. The community also prayed for us. The chain of prayers must have really worked wonders for God immediately heeded our plea. On our 5th week in the formation, I was already conceiving. Imagine the joy in my heart upon confirming that I would be a mother soon. We named the baby boy John Christian because he is a proof of God's graciousness.

Six years after the birth of my eldest, I was convinced that I could no longer bore another child due to some medical complications. Also, I had another miscarriage aside from I was in my mid-thirties already. However, God indeed is full of surprises. He gave us another child, a daughter we named Selena (a name insisted by her Kuya after we saw Selena Quintanella-Perez's filmbio on HBO) Therese (from my patron saint Therese of the Child Jesus).

Now, John Christian (Jaycee) is turning 12 on December 20 and Selena Therese (Baby) recently turned 6 last May. Looking at them tonight as they peacefully sleep, I could not contain my happiness for having been blessed with well-mannered and God-fearing children. As they would frequently ask, "mommy, where did we come from"? My answer is always the same and definite: "YOU ARE BLESSINGS FROM GOD!"

No comments:

Post a Comment