Saturday, August 1, 2009

Farewell Cory Aquino





Allow me to share with you President Corazon Aquino's speech before the US Congress shortly after she became the 1st woman President of Asia and the Philippines. Thanks to NinoyAquinoTV for uploading these videos on YouTube.

I was on my way home from the office at around 5:30 in the morning, waiting for a bus ride enroute to the South at Buendia, when vehicles from a giant TV network hurriedly passed through where I stood. I have a gut feeling that something must have happened to the well-loved Tita Cory because the vehicles were heading towards Makati Medical Hospital where she has been confined for the past few weeks. I immediately turned on the TV when I reached home, found out that my gut feel proved right, sat down filled with deep emotion of grief and looked back on how, once in my life, Cory Aquino touched my soul.

I have never met her personally, there was an occasion or two that we could have crossed paths in the 90's during my active involvement in social development work, yet her impact on me personally, like the rest, is unfounded. It was 1986, I was a sophomore from a Jesuit school in Naga, when EDSA revolution uprooted my social consciousness from a passive observer to an active member of the society. As a student from an Ateneo school that is committed to its role as a catalyst for change, we were challenged to take part in guarding the election. I was a first time voter, obliged due to peer pressure, there we took vigil at Naga Comelec precincts as a Namfrel volunteer. Initially, there were reservations, colleagues were picked up by military, our school was under the watchful eye of the Marcos administration, yet our spirits were undaunted and unperturbed. When there is a collective effort to fight for justice, the passive spirit became alive especially if the guiding force is a woman, a mother and a moral leader. When Marcos proclaimed victory in the snap election, many tears rolled not by defeat but of an intense desire, we believe, it was about time to fight for what is right and moral. During EDSA revolution when people gathered in Manila offering bread and flowers to the armed soldiers, we were doing the same in Bicol. I learned later, the whole country was one in spirit and prayers in attaining for true democracy. When Marcos fled the country and Cory took oath as president, the moment was magical. I remember fondly that I was at home when news broke out about the people's power victory. People outside my home were jumping, shouting, crying and thanking the Lord aloud for gaining democracy through a peaceful revolt. Indeed, it was a sight to behold!

When everything settled politically and socially, as a student, I became involved in the school's social organization and activities. Ateneo believes that it is integral to become a man and woman for others, that change could take place if people are one in principle and vision. It was the path I headed after college, for 12 years I was committed to social development with Cory guiding as light, to a work resented and viewed by others as financially unrewarding, especially from people who don't know where I am coming from. However, when there is moral satisfaction and spiritual fulfillment at work, it is unquestionably rewarding than money could offer.

So to my guiding light and inspiration, Tita Cory, may you continue to watch upon us, pray over us and remind us to never forget your legacy of piety, moral leadership and patriotism. Thank you for a job well done. Farewell!

1 comment:

  1. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete